The studio I work with, hub14 art & performance works has released their call for residency proposals.
This call is suitable for anyone with a performance practice, emerging to established. The residencies range from research-based explorations (you pitch a compelling idea with a thoughtful plan & could receive up to 40 hours in studio to explore it without any demand of a final product from us), to three-day gallery pop-up installations (usually geared towards a visual artist working with performance or performers working with visual/installation art), community initiatives (discussions, classes/workshops, performance series, etc.) & even a live-in for artists outside the GTA.
The studio is based in Toronto, just around the corner from the Queen West & Bathurst intersection (very close to Theatre Passe Muraille, Factory Theatre, Rapier Wit & lemontree creations).
It’s one of the only programmes of its kind in Toronto and one of my favourite things to be part of each year. Seeing what you’re working on, hearing your voices, your passions, your ways of expression is a privilege I am humbled to experience.
That said, the hub14 team wants to support you & your art!
Applications are due July 6th @ 11:59pm. So get on that!
Check out the call here.
Seasonal Activities, v. V
CALL FOR PERFORMERS
Seasonal Activities is a series of live performance. It strives to bring artists and audiences of disparate backgrounds together to the same space, opening conversations between participants of the often-individual Toronto arts disciplines.
I am looking for new or pre-existing pieces, running 5 – 20 minutes in length.
Projects can be of any live performance style.
They should be able to work in an intimate setting with low tech.
Pieces should be willing to acknowledge the audience and interrupt their experience beyond traditional staging. Interpret this how you like.
Volume V will take place Saturday, April 30th @ hub14 (14 Markham Street, Toronto, ON)
Tickets will be $15 @ the door / $10 in advance
Seasonal Activities will provide:
- Company Artist fees will come as a profit-share of ticket sales
- Basic tech (simple lighting / the ability to rig a couple specials / audio support) & stage management
- One performance and tech time (times TBD during the evening of April 26th)
- Audience feedback if desired
To submit, please send:
- A short description of your piece (100 words max.)
- Technical needs, including length of performance and number of performers
- Artist bios
- Support material (if submitting links, include it in the package with sufficient headings or short descriptions of what lies beyond. Links will be clicked, but please don’t send me to pages I’d rather not open)
- videos can be submitted via links to online postings (I probably won’t watch more than 5 minutes of any given thing… but who knows?)
- photos can be submitted the same way (links to online albums), or as attachments (5 photos max.)
- music can be attached as .mp3s or links to streaming content
- websites (I will browse webpages, but specific links with reasons are most welcome)
- script samples (send it all – a 20 minute performance can’t be that wordy, right?)
All material can be sent as .pdf or .jpeg where applicable and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by
Friday, April 8th @ 11:59pm, 2016
TOES for dance and a field of crowns host “On and On and On”, A community improv jam for the creatively curious! Come and join us around our “camp fire” to sing, talk, draw, play music, dance and explore!
ALL ARTISTS WELCOME!
This night is not just for dancers; if you are an artist of any kind who – just like TOES for dance – loves to collaborate, connect and create with like-minded people, this informal event is for you!
Bring instruments, monologues, songs, slam poetry, your sketchbook, iPod, or just yourself and JOIN US in an evening of spontaneous creativity!
This month TOES is partnering with a field of crowns, featuring artistic director Andrew Gaboury; theatre artist, playwright, artistic director and faciliator of multi-disciplinary theatre projects. Andrew will add new elements of creative and spontaneous expression to the jam, through creative writing and collaborative movement exercises.
All proceeds go to supporting and maintaining TOES for dance’s 2015 season.
Follow TOES for dance:
Twitter | Instagram: @TOESfordance
Follow A Field of Crowns:
Twitter | Instagram: @afieldofcrowns